Rachel’s Quick Tips for ALA Annual
- Be friendly. Don’t just sit down on the shuttle and stare at your phone. Say hello to someone sitting near you: introduce yourself and ask about their library. There are so many amazing people at ALA, and you rarely have the opportunity to network so widely.
- Bring a good bag. You’re going to be carrying lots of stuff around. And tote-bag envy is a time-honored tradition among librarians.
- Find a place to get your caffeine fix before you get to the conference center. The Starbucks lines typically range from bananas to not-even-worth-it.
- Bring snacks. Especially if you are a picky eater, or have dietary restrictions, the long lines and overpriced food at the conference center just will not cut it.
- Mark your calendar for Guerrilla Storytime. Attend as many times as physically possible.
- Don’t forget your sneakers. I need the quiet-time of exercise to off-set the mania of conference.
- Make time to visit City Lights Books. I think they also have a booth in the Exhibit Hall. (Great place to buy souvenirs for all your family and #alaleftbehind friends.)
- Get a burrito. A few years ago, I had the best burrito of my life at Taqueria Cancun. I can’t wait to repeat the experience. (If anyone wants in on this, hmu!)